Jeff P. H. Cazeau, a shareholder in the Firm’s Miami office, serves as the City Attorney for the City of Florida City, Florida, and represents other municipal governments and boards. Mr. Cazeau also lobbies on behalf of private clients on the state, federal and local level.
Mr. Cazeau has a national practice assisting small and mid-sized companies obtain and keep contracts with federal, state and local government entities. In particular, Mr. Cazeau is experienced in assisting small, minority and women owned businesses navigate the sometimes complex world of socio-economic certifications through the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) and Airport Concessions Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (ACDBE) certifications, as well as the Small Business Administration’s 8(a) Business Development Program, Women Owned Small Business (WOSB) certifications and other Women, Minority and Veteran Business Enterprise certification programs through various state, local and other certifying entities. He has structured joint ventures, teaming agreements, and other arrangements to assist both the prime and the subcontractor successfully bid and win government contracts. He has handled dozens of appeals and disputes involving all manner of government certification programs.
Before attending law school, Mr. Cazeau served nine years as a commissioned officer in the United States Navy. During his naval career he held several positions including Anti-Submarine Warfare Officer, Legal Officer, and Navigator aboard USS ELLIOT (DD 967) and Politico-Military Affairs Officer at United States Southern Command (SOUTHCOM). As a Pol-Mil Officer, Mr. Cazeau served as an advisor to the Commander, USSOUTHCOM with regard to issues involving the Caribbean, particularly Haiti, Suriname and the various British, Dutch and French territories.
Awards & Honors
In law school, Mr. Cazeau served as President of the Student Bar Association and was a recipient of numerous awards, honors, and scholarships. Most notably, Mr. Cazeau is a member of the prestigious Iron Arrow Society and is a recipient of the Roger Sorino Award; an award that designates one student as the most outstanding graduate in their class.
- 2010-Super Lawyers, Rising Star
- 2011-Super Lawyers, Rising Star
- 2012-Super Lawyers, Rising Star
- 2011 Florida Trends Legal Elite
- 2012 Florida Trends Legal Elite
- 2016-Super Lawyers
Activities & Memberships
- Board Member, Miami Bayside Foundation, Inc.
- Board Member, Switchboard of Miami (2002-2012)
- General Counsel, Haitian-American Elected Officials Network South Florida Chapter
- Campaign Treasurer, Miami Dade County Commissioner Jean Monestine
Chair, Florida Bar Grievance Committee 11B
- Vice President for Fundraising, University of Miami Law Alumni Association
- Volunteer, Lawyers for Children America
- Member, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Centennial Planning Committee
- Special Master, City of Miami Gardens, Florida
- President, Haitian Lawyers Association, Inc. (2007-2008)
- Board Member, Dade County Bar Association (DCBA) (2007-2010)
- Chair, DCBA Administrative and Governmental Affairs Committee (2008-2010)
- Member, Florida Supreme Court Standing Committee on Fairness and Diversity (2007-2008)
Notable Client Accomplishments
Represented General Contractor in successful bid to build the Joe Celestin Community Center in the City of North Miami.
Successfully argued a change in the City of North Miami code of ordinances to allow a high-end gentlemen’s club in the City’s industrial area.
Following an appeal to the U.S. Department of Transportation, settled a dispute with the Florida Department of Transportation, which allowed an individual who was not a member of one of the presumed groups of disadvantaged individuals obtain DBE certification.
Successfully argued and won an appeal against the California Department of Transportation (CALTRANS) over that agency removal of DBE certification from a long certified DBE company.
Assisted numerous clients obtain DBE and ACDBE certification all over the United States.
After the SBA denied his application for entry into the SBA’s 8(a) Business Development Program, Mr. Cazeau represented the client in a size appeal which ultimately resulted in that client obtain his 8(a) certification.
Lectures and Publications
- Cashing in on Federal, State, and Local Government Contracts. Sept 2011. Women’s Business Council of the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce.
- Business Legal Structures and Agreements. Fall 2009. National DBE Training Institute.
- Public Officials and Attorney’s Fees. A Municipality’s Duty to Pay. Florida Municipal Attorney Association Seminar. July, 2008.
- Make Good Faith Efforts and Back Them Up. Airport Revenue News, June 2007.
- Does a Florida Minority Shareholder in a Closely Held Corporation Owe a Fiduciary Duty to Fellow Shareholders? 79 Fla. B. J. 55 (2005).
- European Security and Defense Policy Under the Gun. 10 U. Miami Int’l & Comp. L. Rev. 57 (2002).