Mr. Stempler focuses his practice in the areas of construction litigation, government bid protests, and civil litigation. He is Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Construction Law, and is certified as a LEED Green Associate by the United States Green Building Council. He represents clients in commercial and residential construction lawsuits, involving defects, delays, contractual disputes, mold claims, liens and lien disputes, bond claims, and insurance disputes. Clients include owners, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, sureties, and manufacturers.
In the government procurement arena, Mr. Stempler primarily represents private companies doing business with government agencies during the bidding, negotiation and protest processes, and during regulatory and ordinance promulgation. He has represented companies in procurement protest disputes across Florida, and has helped clients win numerous multi-million dollar government contracts. Bid protests that Mr. Stempler has handled include construction, transportation, professional services, public housing, vendor concessions, state court services, janitorial services, landscaping, and airport services. Mr. Stempler also represents public agencies on a case by case basis. He has authored numerous published articles on government procurement, protest procedures, and government regulations.
Notable Client Accomplishments
- Defeated a protest and court challenge to preserve a multi-million dollar contract award to a janitorial services client for various Broward County locations.
- Defeated a challenge to the award of a multi-million dollar contract to a public transportation client by the South Florida Regional Transit Authority for operating services for the commuter bus system.
- Represented Yellow Cab and Go Airport Shuttle and Executive Car Service in Broward County and provided legal analysis to numerous proposed regulations regarding for-hire vehicles.
- At the Palm Beach County School Board, secured and defended a multiyear multimillion dollar contract for an education services client to provide supplemental academic instructional services, and overcoming a series of challenges at the Fourth District Court of Appeals, Division of Administrative Hearings, and at the School Board level.
- Served as counsel on behalf of James A. Cummings, Inc., and successfully defended a challenge to Broward County’s award of a contract for the construction of the new Broward County Courthouse.
- Successfully protested and won the award of a contract for the janitorial services at Palm Beach International Airport for Sunshine Cleaning Systems, Inc.
- Represented Limousines of South Florida, Inc. and successfully defended Collier County’s award of its Management Services Contract for the Collier Area Transit (CAT) Fixed Route and Paratransit Program.
- Served as counsel on behalf of Pinnacle Housing Group, LLC and successfully overturned a municipality's initial decision deeming Pinnacle's bid non-responsive to the procurement specifications.
Activities & Memberships
- Mr. Stempler is the Chair of the U.S. Green Building Council’s Palm Beach County Branch, and serves on the Board of Directors for the U.S. Green Building Council’s South Florida Chapter.
- Member, City of West Palm Beach Sustainability Advisory Committee
The Green Building Law Blog
The Construction Law Authority Blog
Media Articles & Quotes
"You Got Hurt? Let’s Check the Surveillance Footage", Loss Prevention Magazine, March 7, 2017
The 5 Uber-Taxicab Turf Wars To Watch
By Linda Chiem, Law360, May 6, 2016
State inaction drives Uber issues back home
By Mark Stempler, Sun Sentinel, March 18, 2016
Florida Lawmakers Inaction Leaves Muddy Road For Uber
By Nathan Hale, Law360, March 16, 2016
Florida House, Senate split on insurance standards Uber, Lyft must provide
Tampa Tribune, January 19, 2016
Proposal to end local bans on Uber gains momentum in Florida House
Miami Herald, December 2, 2015
Palm Beach County Extends Uber Pact, Eyeing State Action
Law360, September 22, 2015
Palm Beach County considers Uber-friendly Changes
Sun Sentinel, September 18, 2015, 6:24 PM
Fla. Atty Says County's Proposed Uber Rules Defy State Law
Law360, September 14, 2015
How Uber beat Broward County
South Florida Business Journal, September 4, 2015
Uber, Lyft Earn Permanent Place in South Florida
Government Technology, August 24, 2015
Uber, Lyft Appear to be in South Florida to Stay
The Miami Herald, August 23, 2015
Palm Beach County Backs Off of Tough Uber Rules; Fight Not Over
Palm Beach Post, August 18, 2015
Uber Wants Broward to Meet All its Demands
Sun Sentinel, July 8, 2015
Ride-Sharing Restrictions Target Uber to Protect Public
Daily Business Review, May 18, 2015
Broward County Puts Law and Public Safety Ahead of Uber's Economic Interests
May 05, 2015